What haven’t I done before?
Made a carrot cake.
Ingredients (makes either a loaf sized cake and a 1 layer round cake or a 2 layered round cake – dependent on what you need):
250g x Butter, softened
250g x Brown sugar
4 x Eggs
1 x Large orange
1 x Apple, peeled and diced finely
250g x Carrots (roughly 2 large carrots), peeled and diced finely
170g x Self raising gluten free flour
100g x Walnuts, chopped (save a few whole walnuts for decoration)
100g x Sultanas
1 x tsp ground cinnamon
1 x tsp ground nutmeg
0.5 x tsp ground cloves
0.5 x Fresh lemon
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius and greeseproof the tins that you would like to use (I needed to make 2 cakes so I did 1 in a loaf tin and 1 in a round tin).
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until combined. Beat in the egg yolks individually (remember to save the egg whites for later). Zest an orange and add it to the mixture, then juice the same orange and add it to the mixture. Mix until combined.
3. Sift in the gluten free flour and then add the walnuts, sultanas and spices (not the salt). Mix really well.
4. Add in the grated carrots and apple. Mix really well.
5. Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks – gently fold into the mixture.
5. Spoon the mixture into your cake tins – for a loaf tin it needs 45 minutes (but check at 30 minutes) and for a flat round tin it will need 35 minutes (but check at 25 minutes).
6. When ready, take out of the tin and leave to cool.
7. To make the icing add icing sugar and water until you get the consistency you require – I had to use quite a lot of sifted icing sugar for this. I also squeezed in half a lemon. Drizzle over the cake when it’s cooled and decorate with walnuts.