What haven’t I done before?
Courgette spirals – great as an alternative to pasta.
4 x Courgettes, green skin peeled off and then peeled into thick spirals
1 x Onion, diced
3 x Garlic cloves, crushed
0.5 x Lemon
0.5 x Red pepper, diced
1 x Chilli, deseeded and diced
4 x Handfuls of fresh spinach
2 x Tsp of oregano
1 x Passata
1 x Handful of fresh basil
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Parmesan (to serve)
1. Saute the onion and garlic in a tbsp of coconut oil until cooked.
2. Add the red pepper and chilli, saute until soft and cooked.
3. Wilt the spinach in the same pan – continously stir to avoid ingredients sticking to the pan.
4. Add in the passata and simmer for 15 minutes – season with salt, pepper and oregano. Add in the basil 5 minutes before serving.
5. Whilst the passata is simmering, lightly fry the courgette spirals in coconut oil. Squeeze the lemon on top as it really compliments the courgettes and add salt and pepper to taste. They don’t take long to cook and you may need to drain the water at the end so the dish isn’t too moist.
6. Pour a couple of teaspoons of olive oil into the passata to add extra flavour.
7. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan (fresh is better then the pre-grated parmesan that I had in the fridge)..
8. (I also added in flaxseed with milled nuts to give texture).