What haven’t I done before? Cooked a moussaka from scratch.
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
750g Beef mince
2 x Small white onions (diced)
2 x Vine tomatoes (diced)
3 x Medium aubergines
10 x Small courgettes (or 5 regular British courgettes)
3 x Large potatoes
3 x Garlic cloves (diced)
200g Greek cheese grated (or parmesan)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. Slice aubergines in long, flat slices approx. 1cm thick. Pop in a sieve and salt – leave to stand for 30 minutes.
3. Peel potatoes and slice in long, flat slices approx. 1cm thick. Greaseproof a baking tray and place the potatoes on the tray – only 1 layer per tray. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. (When cooked put them aside).
4. Cut off the ends of the courgettes and cut in long, flat slices. Greaseproof a baking tray and place on the tray – only 1 layer per tray. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. (When cooked put them aside).
5. When the aubergines have stood for 30 minutes wash them under cold water and lightly fry them in olive oil. (When cooked put them aside).
6. Dice the onion and garlic – sautee until slightly brown.
7. Pop the mince into the pan with the garlic and onion – continually stir until brown. Then add the diced tomatoes and a sprinkle of sugar.
8. Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
9. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
10. While the meat is simmering start preparing the cheese sauce. Add a knob of butter to a pan and when melted add 2 tablespoons of cornflour (you may need to add more depending on how thick you want the sauce). When the butter and cornflour has combined, take off the heat and add the milk. Pop back on the heat and add the cheese in stages (leave enough cheese to sprinkle over the top). Continually stir until you have a thick and creamy sauce – add salt, pepper and oregano to taste.
11. Start layering your moussaka starting with a layer of mince, then aubergine, then courgette finishing with potato. Repeat this process. For your final layer you need to pour the cheese sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese – bake the dish for 30 minutes.
12. Plate with a simple Greek salad (see previous blog post ‘Fresh Cretan white fish…’.