What haven’t I done before?
I have never made croquettes – quite frankly this is a failure in my life as these beauties were incredible. I mean cheese and potato deep fried…how can you possible go wrong?
Ingredients (makes approx. 10-12):
750g x Baby potatoes, washed
100g x Cheddar, grated
25g x Parmesan, grated
2 x Spring onions, diced finely
3 x Slices of gluten free bread, blitzed into breadcrumbs
50g x Gluten free plain flour
2 x Eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper
Olive oil and cooking oil mix (I got it from M and S)
- Boil the potatoes until you can easily put a knife right through. Then leave to cool (I put in cold water a couple of times to make things quicker). When cool, gently scrape off the skins.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl and then add the cheddar, parmesan, spring onions and salt and pepper to taste.
- In 1 bowl put the gluten free flour and season with salt and pepper. In another bowl but the beaten egg and in the final bowl put the fine gluten free breadcrumbs.
- Shape the potato mix into golf ball sized balls and then squash into a stubby sausage shape (see picture). I found it really useful to wash my hands in cold water and then handle the mixture as it didn’t get as sticky (tip of the day!). Then dip each croquette into flour (tapping off any excess), the egg and then the breadcrumbs so it is completely covered. Put them on a plate ready to fry.
- In a medium pan, put 2cm of oil and wait until hot. It is hot enough when you can put a bit of bread in and it crisps up. When it is hot enough, but a few croquettes in and keep turning until they go golden brown (it took about 5 minutes due to the size of my croquettes). Then carefully take out and put on a plate that has been lined with kitchen roll as to drain the excess oil. Keep doing this until all the croquettes are cooked.
- Enjoy the potato, cheesy, gooeyness!