What haven’t I done before?
I haven’t made a paella from scratch before.
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
1 x Red onion, diced
3 x Garlic cloves, crushed
100g x Chorizo, diced
0.5 x Large red chilli, diced (I didn’t de-seed but if you don’t want a kick to the paella you can easily de-seed the chilli)
1 x Red pepper, diced
500g x Paella rice
130g x Frozen peas
250g-300g x Seafood mix (prawns, mussels, calamari etc)
3 x Large tomatoes, de-seeded and diced
200ml x White wine
1.2l x Chicken stock (I used 2 stock cubes and dissolved in boiling water)
1 x Tbsp fresh thyme, stems removed
1 x Tsp paprika
Pinch of saffron (put this in the chicken stock)
1 x Tsp chilli flakes
Handful fresh parsley, diced
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan and add the chorizo until crispy (watch not to burn as this can easily be done).
- Then add two of the crushed garlic cloves, the onion and the pepper until softened.
- Add the thyme, fresh chilli and flaked chilli, paprika and the rice – make sure the rice is mixed in well with all the other ingredients in the pan. Then add 125ml of the white wine, when boiling add the chicken stock. Make sure you stir well so the paella doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook for 10 minutes – stir occasionally.
- Add the peas, tomatoes and parsley and stir well. You may need to add a little more wine at this point as the rice may have soaked up all the liquid. Cook gently for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the remaining crushed garlic clove – add in the seafood mix and warm through.
- Taste the paella to make sure the rice is cooked and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a large dish and top with the seafood.