What haven’t I done before?
A colleague told me that grilled aubergines and yoghurt worked really well together so I looked for ideas on how to combine these ingredients to make it into a dinner. This was a great, healthy dish and would work well for both lunch, dinner or even as part of a selection of meze.
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 x Aubergines, sliced lengthways and prepared degorge (salted, left for 30 minutes and then washed)
2 x Ripe vine tomatoes, diced
1 x Red onion, diced
1 x Garlic clove, crushed
1 x 400g chickpeas, drained and washed
1 x Red chilli, diced (keep the seeds in if you want a hotter dish)
2cm x Piece of ginger, peeled and diced
0.5 x Tsp of ground coriander, ground cumin and cinnamon (of each)
0.5 x Half lemon, juice only
250g x Greek yoghurt
50g x Walnuts, diced
Handful of fresh coriander, diced
Salt and pepper
Cup of water
- Saute the onion in 2 tablespoons of oil. When cooked add in the spice mix, chilli, ginger and garlic – mix well.
- Add in the chickpeas, tomatoes, lemon and a cup of water – mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whilst this is simmering, put the aubergines on a grill and lightly drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill on both sides until golden brown.
- Put the yoghurt, walnuts and coriander in a bowl (save some for decoration) – mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve the salad you need to put a layer of aubergines on the plate, then some of the chickpea mix and then the yoghurt. Decorate with the spare walnuts and coriander.