What haven’t I done before?
I have never tried waffles let alone make them. I actually had to ask my boyfriend to give me feedback on the texture as I wasn’t sure if it was right.
Ingredients (serves 2 hungry people or 4 semi-hungry people):
60g x Unsalted butter (I used salted…not recommended)
2 x Large eggs
300ml x Milk
225g x Doves self raising gluten free flour
0.25 Tsp x Salt
1 Tsp x Ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp x Runny honey
Natural yoghurt, honey and fresh fruit to serve
- Firstly, limber up…this could be a rollercoaster ride.
- Melt the butter in a pan, not the griddle pan, and then put to one side.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk in the milk until combined. Sift in the flour, salt and the cinnamon – make sure all ingredients are combined well. Stir in 90% of the cooled butter and 2 tablespoons of runny honey (I based this on a Jamie Oliver recipe and he uses apple but I used honey for sweetness instead. Apple does sound yummy though).
- Pop your griddle pan over a high heat and brush with the remaining butter. I made the mistake of putting too much butter in which burnt the bottom of the waffles – don’t do it…
- Pour in the batter and tilt the pan so the mixture is evenly spread. Reduce the heat to medium-low (this was quite difficult with an electric cooker so just be careful here). Cook for around 5 minutes but make sure it isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan as it will be hard to flip. Do the same on the other side until golden brown – make sure it’s cooked all the way through (I used a knife to check this).
- Slice into 4 (as I used a square griddle pan) and serve with fresh fruit, yoghurt and honey.
- A top tip from Jamie…if you have a waffle maker…use one as it is easier!