What haven’t I done before?
I have made a lemon drizzle cake but I only realised after the Great British Bake Off last week that I have been doing it all wrong. What a difference small changes make!
175g x Salted butter
175g x Caster sugar
2 x Large eggs
175g x Gluten free self raising flour (I used Dove’s)
Zest from 1 lemon
50g x Caster sugar
Juice from 1 lemon
Icing sugar (I guessed how much…I wanted a thick icing)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and butter a baking loaf tin.
- Put the sugar and butter in a large bowl and mix until combined, with no lumps, with a wooden spoon.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Then sift in the gluten free flour.
- Grate the zest into the mixture and combine.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes – keep an eye on it as you don’t want it to burn. To test if it is cooked you need to use a knife and gently put it into the cake – it’s cooked if the knife is clean when you pull it out. Turn it gently onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix the icing together by combing the sugar and lemon juice. With a cocktail stick make lots of random holes in the cake and then pour the sugar/lemon over the cake while it is still warm.
- I then made an icing paste by combining lots of icing sugar with water – this is always trial and error for me. I then used a spoon to drizzle it over the cake…I was trying to be artistic…it didn’t work. Less is more!