A flavoursome spicy lentil curry often found in many Indian restaurants. I found this great recipe on crackingcurries.com.
What haven’t I done before?
Cooked a tarka daal or even used lentils before.
1 x Mug of channa daal
4 x Mugs of water
6 x Cloves of garlic, diced
2 x Medium tomatoes, diced
1 x Inch of ginger, peeled and diced
2 x tsps cumin seeds
1 x tsp coriander powder
1 x tsp chilli powder (I like a bit of a kick)
1 x tsp salt
0.25 x Onion, diced
Handful of coriander, finely chopped
1. Wash the daal, drain and put in a large pan with the 4 mugs of water. Turn the heat to high and add all the spices, garlic, tomatoes and ginger.
2. Bring to the boil, cover and let it bubble away for around 40-45 minutes. Don’t be afraid to have it on a high heat as it must be bubbling.
3. Taste the liquid at the 20 minute mark to see if you want to add more seasoning including spices.
4. Take off the heat and add in the coriander – mix once and then serve.
5. Pop some yummy tarka (fried onions) on the top to serve.