What haven’t I done before? I haven’t cooked field mushrooms whole or stuffed.
Ingredients (serves 2):
4 x Large field mushrooms
0.25 x Aubergine, degorge and diced finely
1 x Onion, finely diced
2 x Garlic cloves, finely diced
2 x Chillis, finely diced
10 x Baby vine tomatoes (plus 2 vines for decoration (see picutre)
Handful of fresh basil
Handful of walnuts, finely diced
Feta cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Carefully peel the top layer off of the field mushrooms – don’t throw this away as it will be used in the stuffing. Also, carefully trim the stork inside so it is level with the rest of the mushroom. Again, don’t throw away. Put the mushrooms on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Put the mushrooms and whole vine of tomatoes in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
3. Put the onions, garlic and chills into a blender – blend until they are fine. Then saute in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil until cooked.
4. In the blender, blend the aubergine, vine tomatoes, 0.75 of the basil, the remaining mushroom that you took off in step 2, and the walnuts. When blended finely, add to the pan with onions. Season well with salt and pepper.
5. When the mushrooms are done, crumble feta cheese on top and then spoon in the mixture equally into the mushrooms. Crumble feta cheese on the top.
6. Bake in the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
7. Serve with salad and the whole vine tomatoes.